The Delta-Mendota Canal carries water southeasterly from the C.W. “Bill” Jones Pumping Plant to the Mendota Pool. The canal, located along the west side of the San Joaquin Valley, is essential for irrigation supply as part of the San Luis Unit and the Central Valley Project Delta Division.
Completed in 1951, the Delta-Mendota Canal is used for irrigation of land along the west side of the San Joaquin Valley and to replace San Joaquin River water stored at Friant Dam.
The canal is 116.5 miles long and terminates at the Mendota Pool about 30 miles west of Fresno. The initial diversion capacity is 4,600 cubic feet per second, which is gradually decreased to 3,211 cubic feet per second at the terminus.